Friday, March 17, 2017

A Letter to Girl Scouts: "It made me feel important"

March 26 marks the end of the 2017 Girl Scout Cookie Program and 100 years of Girl Scouts selling cookies. The Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council (GSSJC) is overjoyed by all the progress our girls have made. Not only have GSSJC Girl Scouts sold over 4.6 million packages of cookies that will help power new, unique and amazing experiences for girls, but through the cookie sale we've seen girls grow and unleash their inner G.I.R.L. (Go-getter, Innovator, Risk-Taker, Leader)™. 

Isabel Herrera, a Brownie in Troop #22256, recently wrote a letter in Spanish to GSSJC staff about her cookie sale experience. Read the translated script and letter below:

March 8, 2017
Hi!
My name is Isabel Herrera, I’m 9 years old. 
I’m in 3th grade of elementary. I’m a Girl Scout in Houston Tx. This is my second year as a Brownie.  I speak English and Spanish. 
Since I’m Girl Scout I have had very nice experiences, but this year something happened that I like. 
Every year I sell cookies. This year I took the basket that my mon uses to take the clothes to the laundry, I cleaned very well, I decorate it with paper flowers, and I put my cookies inside. 
I went out to sell cookies in the neighborhood with my mom, and my sister… she also is Girl Scout. 
I also took the city metro rail, and a man who went there, bought me a cookie package, and told me: 
“You are doing something good for this country, you are making it big, and better.  When you grow up, tell everyone that you were a Girl Scout, because you are going to be successful.  All girl who have been Girl Scout are successful”    
I like that a lot, and it made me feel important. 
My mom is part of Girl Scout, she started as a volunteer, and now is my troop leader.  I think that help me to achieve things that I like, but I also like thing like what the sir of the metro rail told me. 
I think without my mom I could not do it.  She is my leader, and my guide. I like to be a Girl Scout because I have fun, and learn. 
One day I will be a lider just like my mami. 



What an experience! That's why we always focus on the interaction between girls and cookie fans. When girls participate in the Girl Scout Cookie Program, they get more than life-changing experiences and adventure. They also develop essential life skills—goal setting, decision making, money management, people skills, and business ethics—all while soaring in confidence and practicing leadership the Girl Scout way to lift one another up and change the world, together.


For more information on how you can get involved this cookie season and make a difference in the lives of girls, visit www.gssjc.org