Dazzling Spider Web
Spiders are a valuable presence in any garden, keeping harmful insects at bay. Welcome eight-legged friends with this bead-adorned tribute, which will catch the sun (and your eye) when hung from an eave or a low-hanging branch.
- 3 (12-inch) bamboo skewers
- 24-gauge jewelry wire (available at craft stores)
- Glass beads
- Use the wire cutters to snip off the skewers’ points, then cut a 12-inch length of wire. Hold the skewers together and tightly wrap the wire around the middle of the bundle, as shown. Separate the skewers evenly to create an asterisk shape. Wrap the rest of the wire all around the asterisk’s center (Diagram 1).
- Cut a 16-inch length of wire. Wrap one end twice around any skewer, an inch from the asterisk’s center. String on a bead or beads, then pull the wire to the next skewer and wrap it around twice. Continue this way until you reach the first skewer. Wrap the wire around the skewer twice and trim any excess (Diagram 2).
- Use the same method to add the remaining rings with a 24-inch length of wire, a 30-inch length, and a 36-inch length etc.