Friday, May 6, 2016

2016 Success to Significance Rewind

On April 22, Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council hosted its sixth annual Success to Significance event and celebrated the centennial of its highest award, known now as the Girl Scout Gold Award.

The luncheon took place at the Hyatt Regency Hotel located in downtown Houston and featured a keynote speech by Ann Rhoades, former executive vice-president at Jet Blue turned president of her own consulting company, People Ink.  Sharron Melton was the emcee.

The event presentation also included testimonials from two Gold Awardees, Francesca Farris and Varsha Sathappan. Farris, a senior at the St. John’s school, earned her Gold Award for working with Multicultural Education and Counseling through the Arts (MECA) to create a labyrinth in the 4th Ward.


“Seeing how this labyrinth united an entire community of teachers, students and neighbors showed me how something as simple as placing bricks in the ground can bind people together,” said Farris. “Girl Scouts has allowed me to grow as a leader, feel confident and accomplish something permanent for my community.”

Sathappan, a 2014 Girl Scout Young Women of Distinction honoree and Rice University student, received the Gold Award for raising $19,000 to build an outpatient ward in a hospital located in Kodikottai, a town in Southern India. The project took nearly two years to complete.


“My family jokes that it started when I was curled up in my mother’s womb, as she studied for her pediatric board exams,” said Sathappan. “And while I am certain that medicine is my calling, after 9 years as a Girl Scout, I know that I want to be a different type of doctor, one who brings the transformative power of medicine to those who need it most.”

Success to Significance raised $200,000 to support Girl Scouting locally.