Monday, December 9, 2013

Q&A: Earning the Silver Award


GSSJC Girl Scout Angela L. recently earned the Silver Award, the highest honor a Girl Scout Cadette can achieve, by hosting a self-esteem and confidence workshop for her peers. The Silver Award allows a girl in grades 6-8 to show she is a leader who is organized, determined and dedicated to improving her community. In this Q&A, she shares why she chose the project, how she overcame challenges and why earning the Silver Award was important to her.

Q: Tell us a little about your Silver Award project.
A: I held a three-session workshop regarding self-esteem and confidence. The sessions were based on theater, beauty and fashion. As part of the final session, we held a fashion show for the families so that the girls could display their new-found confidence. The clothes were donated by local Girl Scouts and National Charity League (NCL) members, and the girls got to keep them.

Q: What group benefited from your project's goal?
A: My award benefited girls in grades 6-7 at the Neighborhood Kidz Club in Katy. The Neighborhood Kidz Club is a nonprofit organization that provides a fun, safe environment for kids after school and throughout the summer. It was a great place to hold my award at - the girls were so lovely! We all learned a lot about loving ourselves.

Q: Earning the Silver Award is an involved process - walk us through the steps you took.
A: The first step was finding a mentor. I had the awesome opportunity to work with a friend of my mom’s, a retired LPC (licensed professional counselor), who was a huge help along the way. The next step was to find an organization to work with, and that was definitely the hardest part. After establishing a relationship with the tutor from Neighborhood Kidz Club, I worked on the specific content for each session at home and presented it just a few weeks later. Everything just fell into place, and it was over before I knew it!

Q: What was your favorite part of the project?
A: Seeing how happy the girls were and how they were able to open up and talk freely about their own experiences over the course of the program. The girls were glowing with happiness by the final session, and that’s when I knew my Silver Award was successful.

Q: What was the most challenging part of the project?
A: Definitely finding a place to work with. I did have a few places decline working with me, but my advice is to never stop trying. There are places similar to the Neighborhood Kidz Club in your community - you just have to look! I hope to work with the girls at the Neighborhood Kidz club again sometime soon.

Q: Why was earning the Silver Award important to you?
A: I am now one step closer to my Gold Award; a huge goal of mine. It was also very important because I got to help out girls in my community. The feeling that volunteering gives you afterwards is indescribable! It feels even better when it’s something that you've put so much effort into.

Thanks to Angela for sharing her Silver Award experience with us! Learn more about the Silver Award here. We pull award stories from scrapbook submissions for The Golden Link. Email a high-res photo and caption to menzor@sjgs.org to be considered.