Thursday, May 16, 2013

Where's Daisy?

Hi Girl Scouts! It's me, Daisy. Did you know May 18 is International Museum Day? What a beary neat thing to celebrate! We have a really special Girl Scout museum in my hometown of Savannah - the Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace. I always enjoyed visiting and seeing my friends there.

But did you also know your Council has somewhere special where you can learn about Girl Scout history?


Can you guess where I am?

Here's a few more hints:


When I visited, I first sat down to watch a movie from 1918 called "The Golden Eaglet" - it's all about Girl Scouting in its early days. Pretty neat!


This place hosts tea parties for girls, and I got to try on a few things. Do you like my hat?


This place also has some fun activities for girls, like the "Come in a Listen" music round. Have you tried it before?

Have you guessed where I visited?


It's the Goodykoontz Museum of Girl Scout History! Named for Lifetime Girl Scout, Historian and Philanthropist Dorothy Goodykoontz, the museum opened in 2007 and is located at GSSJC's Program Place for Girls, 3000 Southwest Fwy. in Houston. The museum highlights the history of the Girl Scouts of the USA and GSSJC, dating back to GSSJC's inception in the 1920s.

The museum is free to the public and is open Monday - Friday from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. For more information or to reserve a guided tour, email girlscoutmuseumtour@sjgs.org.

The best part? The museum just updated their displays. From new camp displays to new uniforms, now is the perfect time to stop by and see what's new since your last visit - and who knows? Maybe I'll see you there!


Until next time,
Daisy

Daisy is a lifetime member of Girl Scouts and grew up in Savannah, Ga. She loves hiking in the woods at camp, eating Peanut Butter Patties and making new Girl Scout friends.