|Emerald Circle scholarship recipients|
The Emerald Circle of the Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council recently awarded $30,500 to 25 young women at the group's annual Gold Award Merit Scholarship presentation and reception.
Only Girl Scouts who have earned the Gold Award, the highest award in Girl Scouting, are eligible for the merit-based scholarships. Emerald Circle scholarships help high school graduates prepare for their future by continuing their education and earning a college degree.
This year’s recipients were chosen from a pool of 84 applicants. Recipients of the scholarships plan to attend in-state colleges including: Abilene Christian College, Baylor University, Lone Star Community College, Stephen F. Austin State College, Texas A&M University, Texas A&M-Galveston, and The University of Texas; as well as out-of-state schools including: Duke University, Loyola University, Temple University, Vanderbilt University and Wellesley College.
- Kristi F. was chosen to receive the Judy Kunkel Memorial Scholarship. The $3,000 scholarship honors a long-time Girl Scout volunteer and professional educator.
- A $2,500 scholarship from the Albert and Margaret Alkek Foundation went to Erin L.
- The Robert H. and Joanne M. Williams Foundation Scholarship for $2,000 was presented to Hannah B.
- Elizabeth S. was selected as the recipient of the Mary E. Robinson Memorial Scholarship for $2,000. The scholarship is designated for a graduate with plans to study special education. It is awarded in memory of Robinson, who was a long-time advocate for special education.
- Receiving the Ervan Chew Memorial Scholarship was Caroline M. The $1,000 Chew Memorial Scholarship is funded by the GSSJC board of directors in memory of Ervan Chew, a civic leader and former member of the GSSJC board.
- Alexa P. was awarded a $2,000 Emerald Circle scholarship.
Emerald Circle scholarships for $1,000 were presented to:
- Sareema A.
- Chelsie B.
- Jessica B.
- Angela C.
- Faith C.
- Alex D.
- Sarah G.
- Emily H.
- Jessica L.
- Nina L.
- Kruti M.
- Emma P.
- Courtney P.
- Carolyn R.
- Sanjana R.
- Holly R.
- Sydney R.
- Katherine R.
- Micaela R.
- Claire T.
As scholarship recipients were introduced at the presentation ceremony, Emerald Circle President Joanne Williams congratulated each one and presented her a certificate. Linda Ross, The Emerald Circle’s scholarship selections committee chair, gave an overview of each girl’s high school achievements and described the recipient’s Gold Award project.
Serving with Ross on the 2013 scholarship selections committee were two co-chairs, Dorothy Goodykoontz and Louise Rugaard; committee members Karen Amacker, Julia Blackmore, Terri Bean-Minero, Sandy Castillo, Gloria Echeverria, Sandy Judson, Claudia McCabe, Jayne Roberts, Connie Stone and Sara Walker. Nancy Walker served as an alternate.