Monday, October 22, 2012

Q&A with former Girl Scout from Adelaine

Adelaine performs at The B.I.G. Event.
If you stuck around through the end of The B.I.G. Event, you got the chance to hear the stellar sounds of Adelaine. The band was selected by our Girl Planning Board to play at The B.I.G. Event after they performed at a past Cadette Event. But did you know the band's lead singer, Stormy, was a Girl Scout herself?

We caught up with her just before The B.I.G. Event to talk with her about her favorite part of Girl Scouting and how the lessons she learned as a Girl Scout helped prepare her for the music world. Check out our Q&A below!

How long were you in Girl Scouts?
I was a Girl Scout for 8 years! Brownie all the way to Junior!

What is one of your favorite memories from Girl Scouts?
Some of my favorite things from being a Girl Scout were the chances to meet other girls with similar interests, like being outside, and helping the environment with different projects. I have to say that one of my all-time favorite things to do was go to swap meets and meet other Girl Scouts from other troops.

What did Girl Scouting teach you?
I learned a multitude of things from my time being a Girl Scout. I learned life saving techniques for outdoor survival and, most importantly, how to work as a team to accomplish great things!

How did Girl Scouting prepare you for becoming a musician?
I have to say that being a Girl Scout helped prepare me for this band because as a Girl Scout I had to learn how to adapt and work with others as a team. A huge part of being in a band requires the same set of skills, especially when I have to be in such close quarters with my band members for months at a time while on tour. We wouldn't have been able to accomplish any of the things we've done if we didn't know how to work together.

Girl Scouts enjoying Adelaine at The B.I.G. Event.
How did you become interested in music?
Both of my parents love music. I grew up being exposed to a ton of different music styles and genres. My parents have decent singing voices (although they didn't do it professionally or anything), and I discovered at a very young age that I loved singing as well. I grew up singing Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston songs in the back of my parent’s car alongside my little sister.

How did Adelaine get its start?
When I joined Adelaine, I had just recently left a band called THEA, a band that I had been in for the three previous years. Although I enjoyed playing music with that band, I was looking to take my music career to the next level. I met Zach and the rest of my current band members first through Myspace. We soon after met up to "jam" together, and it was love at first jam!

How would you describe your sound?
Our sound is tricky for me to describe. I guess you would say that musically it’s an alternative, pop rock sound. Vocally, I tend to write soulful and melodic parts.  I take great pride in the lyrics I write, so that is an important part of our songs as well.

What’s your favorite part of being in a band?
My favorite part of being in a band has two main parts. First, I get pure enjoyment out of being able to create music with my four best friends. I love getting together and collaborating to create something beautiful. Second, I love being able to share my music with other people. I can't describe how amazing it is to hear from someone at a show that somehow my music has helped them, or that they connected with what I was trying to get across with one of my songs.

What is the most challenging part of being in a band?
One of the most challenging parts of being in a band is traveling so much. Although I love traveling and being able to share my music, it takes a toll on me at times, emotionally and financially. I miss my family a lot, and sometimes I have to spend major holidays while on the road, but in the end it’s all worth it!

What is Adelaine’s greatest accomplishment to date?
One of the coolest things I feel like my band has accomplished is recently we've been getting some national radio play. Also, during one of our tours there were people that we'd never seen before singing our songs because they'd heard us on the radio! It just blew me away.

What would you tell a girl to encourage her to be a Girl Scout today?
Being a Girl Scout [teaches you] how to use the skills you have and combine them with other people to accomplish a goal that you may have not been able to do on your own. Also, you are able to learn from fellow Girl Scouts to hone your own abilities, making you not only a better individual but a better team member as well!

Anything else to share? 
Being a Girl Scout was one of the best experiences I had growing up. I got chances to see and do things that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to experience. I got to go on camping trips, hikes, help out in my community and learn and sharpen skills that make me who I am today. I wouldn't trade my Girl Scout experience for anything!