Friday, August 31, 2012

Kayak at camp, conquer the world

Abby getting ready to go out in a sea kayak on Garden Bay
in British Columbia, Canada.
Girl Scout camp is about more than just spending a week in the great outdoors. It's about learning new skills. GSSJC Junior Abby P. learned to kayak in our Junior Paddler session at Camp Agnes Arnold last summer. This summer? She took those skills learned on Shadow Lake and put them to good use sea kayaking on Garden Bay in British Columbia, Canada!

Abby did a quick Q&A with us to share how the skills she learned in Girl Scouting helped her get out into the world and do something she never imagined she would!

Why did you sign up for Junior Paddler?I signed up for Junior Paddler at Camp Arnold last summer because it sounded like a lot of fun.

What was the best part of learning to kayak at camp? What was the most challenging?
I really liked getting to kayak through the lily pads and moss on the lake. The hardest part was turning.

Using Girl Scout skills to chart their course.
If you weren't in Girl Scouts, do you think you would have had a chance to learn how to kayak?
No, I don't think I would go to other summer camps, and I am not sure where else I could have tried it and had someone teach me how to do it right.

Did you plan on going kayaking in Canada before your trip? What was it like out on the water?
No! Being in a sea kayak in the harder was much harder than just on a lake. The kayak is MUCH bigger, heavier and there were large fishing boats coming from every direction!

How did you use your skills in Girl Scouts while kayaking?
My mom and I learned the paddling skills I learned at camp. We also had to use our map reading skills, and we had to 'be prepared' out on the water. These are other things I learned in my troop - we packed water, energy good, a nautical map of the area, rope, sunscreen, sunglasses, a first aid kit and walkie-talkies. We also wore our life vests. We made sure we were prepared in case our kayak tipped, we were injured or we were stranded for a bit.
I also got a chance to teach my younger sister Izzy, a Brownie Girl Scout, how to kayak too!

Kayaking on the open sea!
What was your favorite part?
My favorite part was probably the scenery. I liked looking into the water, around the islands and out across the sea.

Also, our sea kayak that was controlled by my mom's foot pedals. It made it MUCH easier to turn the kayak out on the sea. I really liked the rudder!

Do you play to continue kayaking?
Yes, I really want to try white water kayaking next!


To learn about all the exciting opportunities awaiting you in Girl Scouts, click here