Friday, July 27, 2012

Photoblog: A return to resident camp

There's just one week left for resident camp in GSSJC, and I can't believe how quickly the summer has flown by! One of my favorite parts of working for Girl Scouts is getting to visit our three resident camps during the summer months to take photos of all the awesome activities our girls get to try. Whether it's favorites like sailing and horseback riding or new, exciting opportunities like learning robotics or how to scuba dive, you can bet Girl Scouts in San Jacinto Council are making the most of their summer at camp.

I made another trip to all three camps this week to snap some more photos for The Golden Link, Facebook, the 2013 camp guide and more - but you can get a sneak peek in this week's photoblog. Enjoy! - Miranda

Note: Click any of the photos below to enlarge them.

Camp Agnes Arnold
I joined the hiking group as they headed across
Snake Island to the wooded trails.
Fun story about this group: as we crossed Snake Island to the other side of the lake, a very worried Daisy walking next to me while I was taking photos looked up and said, "Please don't take any pictures."

"Oh no, do you not like the camp-arazzi?" I asked.

"No, but you'll scare the snakes," she said. Too cute. (And don't worry, I assured her Snake Island isn't actually filled with snakes.)

The Megaslide - this has been a camp favorite this summer. Looks a little
less intimidating from this angle, doesn't it?
Buddies on the hiking trail!
After hiking, I headed to the library to visit with the singing class. They
jazzed up their singing by also doing a dance to "Rumor Has It" by Adele -
and they looked great!
Biker girls! Biking is a great way to see camp and stay cool.

Camp Misty Meadows

The sign language class learned the Girl Scout Promise while I was visiting,
and they taught me how to say, "Hi, my name is Miranda."
The sign language class also taught me the sign for camp.
I visited the barn just as girls were finishing up for the day. These two
campers didn't mind sticking around for some extra time with Goldie
while I took some photos though.
After a long, hot afternoon nothing is quite as refreshing as taking a dip
in the pool. These Misty Meadows campers worked on learning new
swimming strokes.

Camp Casa Mare
Our Seafarers group let me snap a photo as they were working hard to
get their boats ready for an afternoon on the water.
Two campers raise the American flag on the
water front. 
Putting the Sunfish boats in the water requires
a lot of team work - those things are heavy!
Once the boats are in the water, the girls tie them to the mooring line
so they can put the sails up. It was definitely needed on a super-windy
day like this!
After some time by the water, I headed inside to visit the Robotics class.
These girls were learning how to program their robot - pretty cool!
The baton class practices their routine for the end-of-the-week parents show.
These two campers are ready to check out the
underwater sights at the pool.
The Dirt, Grim, Grease and Slime session stopped long enough for me to
take a group photo of them AFTER their oatmeal/Kool-aid fight. I'm lucky it
was in that order!

If your Girl Scout has been at any of our camps this summer - or if you have photos from when you were a Girl Scout at resident camp - feel free to share them with us on Facebook!