Monday, July 16, 2012

Guest post: My Girl Scout Experience

Guest poster Camille P. is a member of the girl planning board for GSSJC's The BIG Event taking place Sept. 29. As a member of the GPB, Camille shares what Girl Scouting means to her as she prepares to help the Council celebrate 100 years of Girl Scouting.

I’m Camille and I’ve been a Girl Scout for 10 years. I think the one thing that has kept my passion for it is definitely all the relationships I have developed. Girl Scouts is the place where I befriended all my best friends. Girl Scouts teaches you a lot. It taught me to put others first, and it also made me realize a few things.

Girl Scouts really opened my eyes to how fortunate I am to have the life that I do. When we do different kinds of volunteer work and I see the people that don’t have what I do, the only thing I want to do is help them. The second thing that Girl Scouts opened my eyes to is that all I want to do when I grow up is help people. When we go to huge Girl Scout celebrations or community events, there are always the people that had to plan everything that goes into it. Things like a food drive or a fundraiser for different organizations take a lot of hard work, and one day I want to be the one that is planning these things.

Girl Scouts has been an amazing experience for me, and I hope one day all the girls in the world will be interested in continuing the Girl Scout legacy. Girl Scouts has taught me one of the most valuable lessons in the entire world: You are different, you are beautiful.

A lot of people think Girl Scouts is really nothing. They just think it’s where girls gather to do pointless crafts and earn badges. But to me, it’s so much more. It’s a happy place where nothing can bring you down. In the time that I’ve been in Girl Scouts, I’ve gotten the chance to meet so many amazing people. At the National Convention last year, I was given the once-in-a-lifetime chance to meet a celebrity - for free. Actually four celebrities named Mindless Behavior. (Ed. note: Mindless Behavior is an American boy band that did a special autograph signing for girls attending the 52nd National Convention in Houston last November.) It was really an honor to meet them because while they’re living their dreams, they still take the time to support ours and at the end of the day it’s a very honorable feeling.

Many people I've met through Girl Scouts will never understand how much they have affected my life, but I’d like to say thank you to everyone that has ever helped me. First my troop for always being able to make me laugh; my troop leader for being my second mom and possibly the funniest person I've ever met; my parents for supporting me through Girl Scouts and being my free taxi service; my twin brother for being the best Boy Scout brother in the world; Mrs. Portia Cook and the planning board for The BIG Event for giving me the chance to write this; and, most importantly, the man upstairs, God - He’s our biggest supporter in all that we do. 

The one thing I hope any girl can take from my guest post is that Girl Scouts is not just something you do. If you’re passionate about it, it becomes a part of your life. It really does make you a better person, and now in 10 years when I look back on this post, I will never forget what started my love to help people. Thank you Girl Scouts and Happy 100th Birthday!

Join Camille and fellow Girl Scouts in celebrating the movement's 100th anniversary this September! For more information on The BIG Event, click here.


Interested in writing a guest post for the GSSJC blog? Girl Scouts must be at least 13 years old to contribute. For more information, email communications@sjgs.org