Tuesday, July 31, 2012

GSSJC welcomes Girl Guides from Asia

Korrapin and Saki - both were Girl Guides in their home
countries of Singapore and Japan, respectively.
It's not every day that a few Girl Guides drop by the Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council offices, so we were thrilled when GSSJC volunteer and Thailand native Korrapin brought by her friend Saki, who was visiting from Japan.

Both ladies were Girl Guides in their home countries growing up, and Saki currently works for Girl Scouts of Japan. Korrapin has lived in Houston for two years and serves as a facilitator for GSSJC. She was also a National Board Member from 2008-2011.

Saki was excited to visit our Council because it is so large, and Korrapin says one of her favorite things to do while traveling is visit other Girl Scout councils. Both were kind enough to take a few minutes out of their tour to answer some of our burning questions about what being a Girl Guide is like in their home countries - and how it compares to Girl Scouting in the United States.

GSSJC: What is Girl Guides like in each of your countries? What activities to girls enjoy?
Saki: In Japan we have camping at the national Girl Scout center. Next month I will go there with 500 girls.
Korrapin: In Thailand we are school-based, not community based, so we don't have large numbers of members. Girls have activities like camping, crafts, songs and we do have trainings for the adults. Most often teachers are the adults.

GSSJC: You were both Girl Guides growing up. What was your favorite part?
Saki: Everything!
Korrapin: I got to meet a lot of good people, make new friends and learn new things. One of my good memories is when I met Saki. I got to meet the world board. They were very inspirational and encouraged us a lot.
Saki: When I was a [Girl Guide], I went to England for a camp activity for three weeks. I brought back things I learned to Japan and that's how I began working for my Council.
Another favorite memory is [from] two years ago. Girl Scouts of Japan had a 90th anniversary event. It was the biggest event in Japan ever. At the event I met the Japanese emperor just because I was a Girl Scout.

GSSJC: How is Girl Guides different from Girl Scouts?
Korrapin: You have a lot of members and very interesting courses for adults. There's less courses for adults in Thailand.
Saki: Cookies - Japan doesn't have any fundraising so we have to raise money for our activities. Sometimes we have to ask the government for money but it is never enough. The cookie system is very good for raising money.

GSSJC: Do you have a favorite Girl Scout cookie?
Saki: I've only tried what she has given me.
Korrapin: I like the Thin Mints.