Thursday, April 5, 2012

Girl Scout shoots music video, brings awareness to bullying

Girl Scout Senior Kaitlyn Knipper, known in the music world as Kaitlyn K., a sophomore at Cypress Ranch High School, is using her music to bring awareness to bullying. She wrote and recorded a song called Who  Do U Think U Are? and recently shot a video for the song with 1,000 of her high school classmates. We recently caught up with the songstress to talk about the serious message behind the tune that has gone viral.


What inspired you to write a song about anti-bullying?
It’s a really common thing that people tend to look over.  I was bullied as a kid and people would say the common saying, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words would never hurt me," but the fact is someone’s words can affect a person just as much as a punch can.  I decided to write this song to send a message that it is not just you, but that everyone is being affected. I wanted to let everyone know we finally have a voice - Who Do U Think U R?


Have you ever been a victim of bullying or witnessed someone being bullied?
Yes, I was bullied all through elementary school and through high school and it can come in any form. Nowadays, to see bullying in the hallway is a common thing that people overlook, but that needs to change.

How did you get the students and your high school to rally behind you and be apart of the video?
I feel like everyone had a special connection to the cause. They know things needed to change and they wanted to stand up and make a difference.  This was not just me. It was a team of teenagers spear heading this idea.  I sang and wrote the song, while Triple directed and produced, Asst. Director Addy and Preston did the audio and video, and of coarse all the groups and students of Cypress Ranch High School supported and some participated in the video.

 


How has Girl Scouting been instrumental in helping you spread the message about anti bullying? 
I have been in Girl Scouts since I was 5, and it has taught me how to be a leader. 

What skills have you learned as a Girl Scout that you are using to bring awareness to bullying? 
Organizing a group to make things happen. 


What is your favorite Girl Scout activity? 
Daddy/daughter dates. 


What badge are you the most proud of earning and why? 
My Silver Award but eventually my Gold Award. For my Silver Award project, I supported Noah's Ark's dog adoption process. My group of volunteers and I gathered supplies and made bags for adopted puppies.  


What is your favorite hobby, besides Girl Scouting? 
Singing and songwriting. 


What is your favorite food? 
My daddy's steak, loaded baked potato and popcorn. During Easter though, I love Peeps, but only the pink ones.


What is your favorite song on the radio? 
"What Makes You Beautiful" by One Direction. 


To obtain a copy of the Kaitlyn's song, visit iTunes. All proceeds from the song will go to support the Cypress Ranch High School takes a stand against bullying Who Do U Think U R? 


Kudos to Kaitlyn and her peers at Cypress Ranch High School for taking a stand against bullying! 


Do you have Girl Scout news you'd like to share on the GSSJC blog? E-mail it to communications@sjgs.org for consideration.